Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The darker the berry

I think dark sista's are some of the most beautiful women on earth. My mom is a chocolate sista and I can remember growing up staring at her in total aw and amazement as she applied her rouge and put on her panty hose and beautiful clothes (she taught me to be the fashionista I am). 

Her skin was and still is so smooth, kinda like Hershey's dark chocolate. She exuded the confidence of a regal queen. In my eyes and that of some of my friends, she was the most beautiful of them all. 

I didn't know until much later that some of the dark sista's I thought were so beautiful, had a complex about the hue of their skin. Sad thing is the insecurity was created not only by taunts from the school yard, but by family members, that were suppose to love and protect them. Who would say to a teenager, "Don't believe the hype, cause your dark berry juice ainte sweet at all?" but an ignorant fool! 

I recently spoke to a friend who confided that she's still struggling with that and she's in her 40's. When a fine man tries to talk to her, she questions his motives, because "Why would
he be interested in me, as dark as I am?" 

Another said she loves black men, but had her babies with a man of another race so they
wouldn't suffer as she had. A sad shame...

Chocolate sista's, that don't already know, y'all are beautiful! Embrace, except and love the skin you are in. Who Eva doesn't like it, "F#*%k em and feed em beans," in the words of my beautiful deep chocolate mama!

Peace, I'm out

4 comments:

  1. Powerful! It surprises me to this day that we as a people, in all over our multi shaded glory, that we are still in the midst of a color complex. And I agree wit' ya Momma, F&^% 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya, a sad shame. We have to blame the media too, when there are very few chocolate sista's in major rolls, as news reporters, in magazines (besides, Enony and Essence) and on TV (that are not in black sitcombs). Parent's must start early in reenforcing how beautiful their chocolate daughters are. Tonya, thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vet. I can't tell you how many times I had to hear, "You're cute to be so dark." I didn't know if that was a compliment or not. LOL! But I love the SPECIAL DARK CHOCOLATE complexion God gave me. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leighlee, Thank you for commenting. I've heard that ignorant comment, too many times. The crazy thing is it normally comes from black people. Sista, I'm lovn' that you are lovn' and embracing your special dark chocolate skin!

    ReplyDelete